Streaming content with Disney+ consumes a lot of data. Fortunately, you can control it.
Streaming movies and TV shows on Disney+ can consume a lot of data, especially if you’re watching HD video. However, if your stream is constantly buffering, or you need to conserve data usage, you can change the amount of data Disney+ uses.
We’ll show you how to adjust your Disney+ data usage per device.
How to control data usage on Disney+
By default, Disney+ automatically sets the quality so that your stream runs with minimal buffering. On some devices, the highest quality is 4K UHD — and Disney+ beats Netflix here because you don’t have to pay extra for it. However, you can manually change it to always use more or less data. The less data you use, the lower the visual and audio quality of the stream.
Importantly, setting the streaming quality manually does not guarantee that you will receive it, as it also depends on your device capabilities and internet connection. For example, if you don’t have a surround sound system, you won’t benefit from the 5.1 audio available at higher quality settings.
Finally, these data settings apply per device and affect all profiles on the account. So if you’re streaming Disney+ on multiple devices, you’ll need to adjust each device’s settings.
How to set up your Disney+ data settings on a mobile device
Setting up your data settings from your mobile device is easy, and it’s a great way to improve your Disney+ mobile experience. All you need to do is follow the steps below.
- In the Disney+ app, tap your profile picture In the lower right corner.
- tap App settings.
- Enable if needed Stream only over Wi-Fi.
- choose Wi-Fi data usage and select automatic (use more data, highest possible HD quality, 5.1 surround sound, 2GB/hour) or save data (uses less data, SD quality, stereo, 0.6GB/hour). When done, go back.
- choose mobile data usage and select automatic or save data. It doesn’t matter if you’re only streaming over Wi-Fi.
How to Set Up Disney+ Data Settings on a Smart TV (or TV-Connected Device)
Follow the steps below to adjust the Disney+ data settings on your smart TV or device connected to the TV.
- On the Disney+ homepage, navigate remain Open the menu.
- choose set up.
- choose App settings.
- choose automatic (Using more data, up to 4K UHD, Dolby Atmos, 7.7GB/hour), ease (use less data, HD quality, 5.1 surround sound, 2GB/hour), or save data (Minimum data, SD quality, stereo, 0.7GB/hour).
How to Set Up Your Disney+ Data Settings on the Web
If you’re watching Disney+ on a computer, you can also change your data settings from there:
- On the Disney+ homepage, place your profile picture In the upper right corner.
- click App settings.
- choose automatic (with more data, the highest possible quality is 4K UHD, stereo, 4.2GB/hour), ease (uses less data, HD quality, stereo, 1.2GB/hour), or save data (Minimum amount of data, SD quality, stereo, 0.6GB/hour).
- click save.
Download shows and movies to save even more data
Using these settings, you can ensure that Disney+ doesn’t drain your data—critical if you have capped data plans that bill you for exceeding your limit.
If you want to save even more data, try downloading shows and movies to your mobile device. This means you can stream without using data, perfect for when you’re away from home and don’t have Wi-Fi.